Monday, March 05, 2012

Fruitful Life

I recently read this:
Matthew 3:8
Produce fruit in keeping with repentance.

and also this:
Acts 26:20
20 First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and then to the Gentiles, I preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds.

The last part of Acts 26:20 is what I think is important.

Why does it matter as a Christian if I am doing good things? Doing things is not how I am saved (Ephesians 2:8-9). Our actions are not a result of the 'rules' of church but a reflection of our hearts attitude toward God. As sinners we are all selfish, prone to do what is contrary to God's ways. As a Christian I have indicated that I am putting that selfishness to the side and putting God's ways ahead of my own self interest.

What does it say if I acknowledge that I am a Christian but my actions are contrary to that declaration? The above passages of Matthew and Acts are pretty clear, the reality of my profession of being a Christian must be demonstrated by what I do. The fruit and deeds of my life are not only for me, as I live a life of repentance for my sinful ways, but also for others.

Matthew 5:16
16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.


I should be living my life so others can see the change, see the difference. So they can see that it is only because of my Father in heaven that I am the way I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home